Essential TikTok Statistics for 2023October 8th, 2021 by Socially Powerful
Since its launch in 2016, TikTok has proved that it’s a force to be reckoned with in the social media realm. The app allows creators and businesses to harness the power of short-form video content to educate, entertain and earn the loyalty of customers and followers.
Is short-form video something you feel your brand would benefit from? Beginning your TikTok journey just might be your next big power move for the upcoming year.
To convince you to make the jump, we have put together the top TikTok statistics that we think every marketer should know, which will prove just how impactful this powerhouse platform can be for brands and creators in every niche.
Key TikTok statistics
- TikTok officially has over 1 billion monthly active users: for reference, Facebook has 2.9B, YouTube has 2.2B, Instagram has 1.4B, Snapchat has 750M and Twitter has 300M.
- TikTok has been downloaded over 2.6 billion times worldwide: in Q1 of 2020, the app had 315 million downloads, which is the best quarter from any app, ever.
- 57% of all TikTok users are female, 43% are male
- Average minutes per user: users spend 95 minutes on the app each day.
- Opens: users open the app 8 times each day, on average.
- Creation: 83% of all users have posted at least one video.#
- 34.9% of users are between 18-24: the second largest age bracket is 25-34 year olds, making up 28.2% of all users.
- 60% of TikTok users are Gen Z
- TikTok is available in 154 countries worldwide: and 75 different languages.
- TikTok is used by 18% of global internet users aged 16-64
- Outside of China, TikTok’s largest markets are in the US, Indonesia and Brazil
- In 2022, TikTok made an estimated $9.4 billion: this contributed around 9.4% to ByteDance’s total 2022 revenue.
- Entertainment is the most viewed content category with 535 billion hashtag views: Dance follows with 181 billion, then Pranks with 79 billion and Fitness/Sports with 57 billion.
TikTok statistics unique to the US
Being the host of the most monthly active TikTok users in the world, we’re delighted to share some pretty impressive statistics with you:
- The US has the most TikTok monthly users in the world with 136.5 million
- The percentage of TikTok users by age is as follows: 10-19 = 25%, 20-29 = 22.4%, 30-39 = 21.7%, 40-49 = 20.3%, 50+ = 11%.
- TikTok was the second most popular app in the US as of September 2022
- The top TikTok track ‘Sunroof’ was used 8.9 million times
- The global rank of TikTok.com is 14, and 20 in the US
- 67% of US teenagers are regular TikTok users
- In the US, TikTok is used relatively evenly by people across the income spectrum: 22% earning under $30k, 29% earning $30k-$49,999k, 20% earning $50k-$69,999k and 20% earning $75k+.
- Over 15% of TikTok users earn less than $25k per year
TikTok statistics unique to the UK
- The number of monthly active TikTok users in the UK is 23.38 million: earning 12th place on the global leaderboard.
- 24% of internet users in the UK between 15-25 use TikTok
- Females account for 66.25% of all TikTok users in the UK
- Males account for 33.75% of all TikTok users in the UK
- 18-24 year olds make up 40% of all TikTok users in the UK
- Just 2% of UK adults use TikTok
- UK TikTok users spend 27.5 hours per month on the app
- In 2022, TikTok surpassed Snapchat as the 3rd most popular social media platform
- Nearly one third of the UK’s population will use TikTok by 2026
- UK TikTok users spend an average of 41 minutes per day on the app
- Early 2022, TikTok ads were seen by 40.4% of all UK adults over 18
TikTok statistics for business
- Nearly half of Gen Z are using TikTok for search, over Google
- TikTok SEO is huge
- The top 1000 advertisers are increasing their spend on TikTok: ad impressions here cost 50% less than on Instagram Reels, 33% less than on Twitter and 62% less than on Snapchat.
- TikTok influencers with 2.5 million followers or more charge around $600-$1000 per post: in comparison to $100-$200 per 10,000-20,000 Instagram followers.
- TikTok’s ad revenue has surpassed Twitter and Snapchat’s combined
- 63% of successful TikTok ads communicate their message straight away
- Top-View ads are a favourite among users
- US influencers see an engagement rate of nearly 18%
- TikTok earned an estimated $1.56 billion in revenue in Q3 2022: this reassures marketers of its longevity.
- Approx. 79% of total revenue comes from China: followed by roughly 8% from the US.
- TikTok LIVE boosts sales: 50% of users have bought something after watching a LIVE.
- TikTok influencers have an average engagement rate of nearly 6%: compared to 1.41% on Instagram.
To finish our list, in 2022, Brand Finance reported that TikTok was the world’s fastest-growing brand. It was the highest new entry to the Brand Finance Global 500 list and as of 2023 it now sits in 10th place with an estimated value of $65.7bn.
If this isn’t enough to persuade you to join the app, then we don’t know what is!
How do I check my TikTok stats?
On a mobile:
- Go to your profile
- Open Settings and Privacy in the top right corner
- Under Account, choose the Creator Tools tab
- Select Analytics
- Log in to TikTok.com
- Hover over your profile picture in the top right corner
- Select View Analytics
What are the main TikTok demographic stats?
- TikTok is most popular with younger generations – 25% of users in the US are between 10-19 and 24% of users in the UK are between 15-25.
- 57% of TikTok users are female, 43% are male
- The US has the most monthly active users, with 136.5 million
- The UK has 23.38 million monthly active users
How many users are on TikTok?
There are officially 1B users on TikTok worldwide.
Which country is using TikTok the most?
The United States, followed by Indonesia and Brazil.
Our Influencer marketing agency and Social agency are located worldwide, with our agency network based in the USA, UK, UAE and China.
If you want to receive our industry insights, visit our Influencer Marketing & Social Media blogs here.Contact us
Most Popular Instagram Hashtags | Tiktok Hashtags | Instagram Monetization | Facebook Banner Size | Snapchat Influencers | Most Subscribed Youtubers | Best Time to Post on Youtube | UK Twitch Streamers | Female Twitch Streamers | Popular Tiktok Songs | Male Tiktok Influencers | Lgbtq Tiktok Influencers | The Rise and Fall of Clubhouse | Influencer Marketing on Clubhouse | LiketoKnowit | Pretty Little Thing Instagram| Social Marketing Agency